Thursday 12 June 2014

MTA Interview w/ Meesha Lyth



Today I'm joined by Meesha Lyth for my very first MTA student interview. Over the coming weeks and months I'm going to be speaking to a vast array of students, ambassadors and staff from the Musical Theatre Academy about their experiences. So, without any further ado.. 

Meesha, Welcome to Theatre Thoughts!  

Chris: Now before I go straight for the jugular about ask you for all your innermost secrets, I was wondering how a girl from Middlesborough ended up at the MTA?

Meesha: I've known what I've wanted to do for quite a long time, and although my parents don't come from a performing background, they've luckily always been really supportive probably because I'd be useless at anything else I tried! I'd been auditioning at a few other schools when I saw that the MTA had won stage school of the year 2012 in the stage, I started looking it up and found that I really liked how it was run and so I auditioned. My mum did originally say there was no way that id be able to go because they didn't offer any kind of scholarship. However when I got in and loved the place we, as a family, worked hard and so I was able to go and I've always been really grateful for it.  

Chris: What training and prep work did you do before the audition day? I read that it's quite an intensive? What actually happens? 

Meesha: You arrive at 9am and have a short introduction then it's straight into dance. A quick warmup, a few corner exercises then a routine, which is then performed in small groups of around 4. It's hard to feel relaxed in an audition scenario but the staff do really put you at ease and encourage you to just have a laugh. Then we do a few acting exercises followed by a 1 minute introduction about yourself, I can't even remember what I said about myself, I was so nervous. Then it's lunch, usually there are students and ambassadors about to have a chat which is really lovely! Then after lunch you sing a song you've prepared and a monologue. It's such a long day but you really get a feel for the place and whether it's for you or not. 

Chris: When did you realise that you wanted to pursue a career in theatre? Was it a particular event that sparked your interest? 

Meesha: I had always been a mad child, watching home videos of our holidays when I was little and I'm jumping about doing made up routines. So it was obvious by that point I was going to do something like this. But it was probably when I was in year 6 in primary school and I was cast as Tullulah in Bugsy Malone, I actually loved it apart from having to sit on a boys knee and thinking it was disgusting!  

Chris: I know you've been in quite a few productions, which part do you think was the most challenging and why? 

Meesha: I was lucky enough to be part of Cool Rider Live at the Lyric Theatre in January as a Dancer. It was my first West end gig that I wasn't just stood singing as part of a large group. There were 11 of us dancing and 8 singers and so it was very challenging to get ourselves ready, we rehearsed for 2 weeks intensely and we did 2 evening performances one at 7pm and one at 11pm. The audience reaction was absolutely mental, with standing ovations and encores, our whole college came to support us which was incredible.  

Chris: Were you ever involved much in theatre before going to the MTA? 

Meesha: Yes when I realised what I wanted to do I joined amateur dramatic company's, and did a BTEC in Musical Theatre at Stockton Riverside College, which is college close to where I lived back in the north. The college has such a good reputation at home, and there are so many people from the college in leads in west end shows and training at various different schools. 

Chris: What were the biggest challenges and obstacles you had to overcome when you first moved to London and started your studies? 

Meesha: Being from a small town, I've always been incredibly close with my family and I had never been away from them for more than a few weeks before. So when I moved to London, I found it really difficult not having them near, I was homesick for quite a long time and it was difficult to just pop home for the weekend with living so far away. MTA really helped though, if I was having a hard time my friends would be straight round and there was always someone to have a chat with. So eventually I got better, and now although I occasionally do miss home, I've grown up a lot and can handle being on my own. 

Chris: What would you tell an 18yr old you that was about to start her first year? 

Meesha: To make the most of your first year before you have to enter the real world, enjoy every minute of it. Prepare to the best of your ability and have fun.  

Chris: Regarding the MTA, how have you found the course structure of 2yrs as opposed to the standard 3yrs offered elsewhere? 

Meesha: Honestly I was sceptical at the start, but everything is so accelerated, our terms consist of 10 weeks with a 3 week break and so it's very full on but you find yourself ready much faster, also where most colleges last year is dedicated to shows, we put on a production after every term and so I find that we don't actually need more time.  

Chris: Which are you most important lessons you've picked up during your studies there? 

Meesha: I think the most important lesson I've learned is to just be a nice human being, there are so many people in the industry that forget their manners and take people for granted. We are taught at the MTA to always be nice and willing to help anyone, this is why we do our own get ins and get outs! And it makes such a difference on a production!  

Chris: With you graduating this year, the big bad world awaits.. What will be your plans when your course finishes? Have you been snapped up by an agency? 

Meesha: I'm not sure what my plans are yet, I'm currently auditioning and so I hope that a job will follow! I've been fortunate to have been signed by Julie Fox Associates which I'm very happy about and so I look forward to working with her and too see what the future holds!  

Chris: To end, for now, as I'd love to have you back at some point.. What advice would you give to anyone aspiring theatre performers reading this article? 

Meesha: Just to find the school that's right for you and where you feel like you fit in and make the most of it! The time flies by so try and use it to the best of your ability! 

Chris: Thank you so much for your time answering my questions and if you ever want to come back on here or write any articles about your experiences, I'd happily say yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...