Tuesday 21 October 2014

Why The Rush?



In this age we are always rushing about going from A to D without bothering to stop at B or C to take time to speak to a parent or give yourself 20 minutes to watch the mad speed we all hurtle about in. I took some time out of my day yesterday to take a walk with my mum to visit my nan’s grave, via a shop to buy some flowers. 90 minutes out of my day was a pure delight, we talked about bygone days of my youth and how my mother and hers would walk amongst the graves (visiting my grandfather) and would look for child names from the headstones they passed. Towards the end of our walk I naturally ran up some steps which ended at the top of an embankment which led nowhere, as if half finished. With my mum chuckling to herself I asked what can humoured her and apparently I would make the same mad dash in my very early years. Apparently some things stay with us unconsciously years after they last happened. Was it a trace memory of my childhood that made me run up the steps to see where they led or was it the same curiosity I have held on to since my childhood that urged me into action.

Less about my childhood and more of Chris the adult, I have found myself in the last 6-9 months slowing down a little and trying to appreciate experiences and people more. It’s certainly a hard ask, I work 8:30-5:30 Monday to Friday and have theatre related meetings and rehearsals 3-4 evenings in the average week with a gap of an hour or so between one commitment ending and another beginning. I do try to maximise that time though by eating (always a good idea!) and giving my cat some much needed TLC which he rightly demands when I’m home.

I have a friend who when we used to go into the town centre at the weekends during the day would get really stressed out when people weren’t moving at the same breakneck speed as him. More often than not several curses would utter from his lips as he swerved and veered around and through crowds to reach his destination. This was a very stressed out guy and I’m pleased to report and he has calmed down much since then, but if I asked him now why he was always in such a rush he’d probably just shrug his shoulders in reply.

The same can be experienced when out on the roads driving. I drive at the speed limit. Always. Throughout my life I have been happy to bend the occasion rule and live quite close to the edge, however for some reason I just can’t bring myself to knowingly speed. I’ve actually had people beep and swear at me for doing 30mph in an 30mph zone, why though? Because I’m obeying the legal limit and ensuring I lower the risk of causing or being involved in an accident which could potentially end someone’s life? I just don’t get it. What can’t wait an extra few minutes? I’m always amused when cars zoom past me at 45-50mph in said zone only for me to draw level with them at the traffic lights a little further down the road. The worst is when the cars have young children in them! What example are the parents/guardians setting their kids, by shouting and swearing to high heavens at me for obeying the law. Don’t get me wrong, I’m never unduly slow and ensure that progression is maintained on the roads but I’ll admit I’ve dropped my speed down to further frustrate the odd car behind me when I know they can’t overtake if they've given me loads of grief.


The point I’m trying to get at (and hopefully not overly labour) is that we could all do with slowing down a little and appreciate the people around us. We are only on this Earth for a short time in the grand scheme of things, we never know how long people will be with us or how long relationships or friendships will last. So why not slow down a little, recharge those batteries and give someone you care about a little more time, they might not always be there, appreciate them whilst they are.

As always please do visit our Facebook page - www.facebook.com/CDProductions.theatre and our website www.cd-productions.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...